- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds), preferably organic
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh herbs (such as thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary, or preferred combination)
- 1/2 lemon, cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-2 handfuls fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove giblets from the inside of the chicken and place the chicken in a roasting or cast iron pan.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the lemon, garlic, and parsley.
- Brush the entire chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Finely mince the fresh herbs. If possible, reserve a sprig or two. Cover the whole chicken with the minced herbs and place breast side up in the roasting pan.
- *Note – for added convenience and to save time, substitute dried herbs above.
- Take any remaining sprigs of fresh herbs that will fit and stuff inside the chicken. Pull the skin to cover the opening.
- Cook for 1 hour, or until a thermometer inserted in the inner thigh reads 165 degrees and the juices run clear.